SAVANNAH Georgia (updated November 2015) — When Old Man Winter travels to Savannah, GA USA — America’s most beautiful city — we think he gets his welcome reprieve: no snow!
Wondering Why? Look at the distance from Savannah, Georgia to …
North Pole: 4,004 miles
Equator: 2,211 miles
South Pole: 8,427 miles
Yes, our southern USA city is subtropical — 32° 5′N 81° 5′W!
Shopping tip: We love the custom pillows from #Savannah artist, Lane Shorkey Huerta — at LoveLane on etsy!
Even in winter, there are BIG unchangeables in our “jolly, little, Savannah”. This is only a sampling of what tops the list of popular reasons to visit this southern city any time of year.
“Jolly, friendly, little Savannah” … in Winter
It was William Makepeace Thackeray who wrote of “… jolly, friendly, little Savannah”, recorded in “The works of William Makepeace Thackeray, Volume 10“.
Wanderlust travelers may appreciate little Green Palm Inn’s last minute winter deal.
The Best Kind of Travel — A Savannah GA Holiday on a Budget! “Let it Snow!… Somewhere else!“© says Diane Crews, innkeeper at Green Palm Inn. Take advantage of Savannah’s no-snow winters and this top-pick B&B inn’s cozy winter special, valid January 3, 2016 – February 4, 2016 lodging. Buy 2 nights at regular price form $169 – $229 plus tax (13%) per night and get the third night free. Offer is valid Sunday to Thursday evenings ONLY. Weekend evenings of Friday and Saturday are not included in these special rates. Call Local: 912-447-8901 or toll free 888-606-9510 from USA and Canada; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Places and stories we like that depict Savannah’s beauty-packed, subtropical winter follow.– The artisan ironwork, as seen in William Mahan’s photo, “Grillwork”
– It is said that Gracie’s tombstone in Bonaventure Cemetery is warm in winter. “She’s Savannah” we read in the beautifully written “Bonaventure: Heaven’s Playground“. “Gracie suddenly seemed to me the reigning child; princess of ‘Heaven’s Playground’.” — Source: TwistedSouth.com
– Don Shultz’s Yankee vantage point is a good read in his “Deep in the Heart of Dixie“, describing his visit to Savannah, still considered the Old South.-The “Savannah at Sunrise“, photographed by Bob B. [more here]
– “A fine dull morning” in Savannah is captured by Glenn: “A pretty woman sat on the bench of the square. Bright light came through the trees, leaving the meadow fresh and shining. She may not have noticed me, on the cold winter morning at Savannah’s beautiful square. I kept thinking the warmth of the sun by looking at the red finger lit by the light.”
– Dick Keely’s picture of “Black Skimmer (Rynchops niger)” taken on Tybee Island beach near Savannah reminds us of the seabirds and migrating birds that fly the Atlantic Ocean migration path for breeding and winter migration.
– Jeff Cochran’s “Savannah Nights” photos capture the ambiance of Savannah’s Old South, in winter. Here he shares a history of Savannah that includes vintage photographs and postcards — things you’re too late to see in person.
– Jim Simpson’s “Savannah Winter, 2006” photos accurately capture the city greenery and blooming flowers.
Savannah’s climate is classified as humid subtropical (Köppen Cfa). In the Deep South this climate is characterized by long and almost tropical summers, with temperatures reaching freezing on only 24 days in the winter (and with rare snowfall). Due to its proximity to the Atlantic coast, Savannah rarely experiences temperatures as extreme as those in Georgia’s interior…. As the city is south of the snow line, it rarely receives snow in winter. Occasional Arctic cold fronts in winter can push nighttime temperatures as low as 25 °F (−4 °C), but rarely further than that. – Source: Wikipedia Savannah, Georgia
Green Palm Inn has last minute vacation deals that require very little vacation planning. Even locations farthest away from Savannah, like Perth Australia‘s 11,456 miles, can arrive easily to this Georgia Coast vacation destination via direct airline routes — Australia – Dallas/Fort Worth – Savannah!
Get away this winter to Savannah, Georgia … and Green Palm Inn!
P.S. Curious about other cities around Savannah’s north latitude?
- Shanghai, China
- Amman, Jordan
- Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.
- Jerusalem, Israel
- Lahore, Pakistan