SAVANNAH, Georgia (June 5, 2013; updated October 3, 2013) – Get the parade wave ready! For guests of Green Palm Inn bed and breakfast, you’ll be close to the action, and staying with a fun-loving innkeeper.
Even if there isn’t a parade there are fireworks on the Savannah riverfront monthly, fireworks on 4th of July holidays, on each First Friday on the Savannah riverfront, and during the summer at the Savannah Sand Gnats baseball games!
Downtown Street Parades
On parade days in Savannah, celebrations are happening in the streets and behind the big spectator scenes in the famously-quiet, Savannah old neighborhoods. There are gardens, people, and private party socials also on parade.
Did you know? According to the 1907 Code of Savannah, Forsyth Park was known as Forsyth Place, bounded by Gaston Street on the north, Whitaker Street on the west, Drayton Street on the east, and the Military Parade Ground on the south.
“SEE how the flowers, as at parade,
Under their colours stand display’d ….”
— A Garden, by Andrew Marvell (1621–1678)
We’ll keep updating parade dates as soon as we get confirmations. Meanwhile, here are holidays around which Savannah parades are normally scheduled.
And you thought the parade days were only for Veteran’s Day Parade, a Boat Parade, a Christmas Holiday Parade, and Big St. Patrick’s Parade!
- Tybee Island Floatillas – Water float ‘parades’ all summer. Check dates. ** something novel to do!
- 5th Annual Midnight Garden Ride – August 31, 2013, 8 p.m.
- Tybee Island Pirate Festival’s PIRATE VICTORY PARADE — Saturday, October 12, 2013.
- Veteran’s Day Parade – Monday, November 11, 2013
- Savannah Harbor Foundation Boat Parade of Lights – Saturday, November 30, 2013
- Thunderbolt Holiday Boat Parade – (Parade date TBA)
- Tybee Island’s Floating Christmas Parade – December 2, 2013
- Holiday on the River and Lighted Christmas Parade – December 6 – 7, 2013 (Parade date TBA)
- Tybee Island Christmas Parade – December 7, 2013
- 7th Annual Tybee Island Toure de Lights Bike Parade! – TBA
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – January 20, 2014 (Parade date)
- Georgia History Festival’s Georgia Day Parade – February 12, 2014, 10:30 a.m.
- Tybee Island Mardi Gras Parade – February (Parade data TBA)
- St. Patrick’s Day – March 17, 2014 (Parade date TBA)
- Tybee Beach Bum Parade – May 2014 (parade date TBA)
- Tybee Pirates Fest Parade – October 10 – 13, 2013 (parade date TBA)
Pssst! Even when there isn’t a grand street parade, the beauties in Savannah – the flowers, the species, the architecture — are worthy of our parade rest every day!
- Tybee Island Tour of Homes – Saturday, June 8, 2013
- St. Vincent’s Academy – 2013 Tour of Homes & Tea — Saturday, October 19, 2013 — 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Savannah Downtown Neighborhood Association’s Holiday Tour of Homes and Inns – December 13 – 15, 2013
- Savannah Tour of Homes and Gardens — March 27 – 30, 2014
- Homebuilder’s Associations “Parade of Homes” – April 2014 (TBA)
“We do a lot of bird-watching up in the country, but we almost never have a chance to people-watch. There simply aren’t enough human beings up here: there is nowhere you can park yourself with a cup of coffee and observe the species on parade.”** — Susan Orlean, author
** Pssst! Not so in Savannah!
Let us know when you’re ready for “The Softer Side of Savannah”, celebrated with or without a downtown parade!
Diane McCray, Innkeeper
Green Palm Inn
Historic Savannah bed and breakfast