SAVANNAH, Georgia — Savannah tourism star, Green Palm Inn introduces you to a friendly stay in Savannah, plus shares added stories — 1920’s “National Smile Week”, Girl Scout Cookie® sales, and little things you might miss to do in Savannah in February – March 2017, like “Savannah Smiles” Girl Scout cookies!
Did you know? “National Smile Week”* was a great idea in the 1920s, half a century before commercial artist Harvey Ball contributed his smiley face ☺, the symbol of “World Smile Day“, which is celebrated in October, annually.
Savannah Girl Scouts (circa 1923) celebrated “Smile Day“, too. At the link (page 38), you’ll see a photo of Savannah scouts in front of Savannah City Hall, holding cookie sale posters. That same year baseball great George Herman “Babe” Ruth (1895-1948) is photographed by AP, helping the Girl Scouts with that same poster, promoting the organization’s new “Million Cookie Drive”.
February and March 2017, get your own Savannah Smiles®!
In 2017, Girl Scouts Celebrate 100 Years of Selling Girl Scout Cookies®. Yes, the famous cookies are on sale now!
Innkeeper Diane Crews is a Girl Scout alumna, so you’ll find plenty of help from her locating the delectable cookies near this historic Savannah inn! Meanwhile, here’s a link to find the cookies.
One hundred years ago, in 1917 Girl Scouts in Oklahoma began home baking sugar cookies and selling them “as a way to finance troop activities”. The original recipe is at the above link.
Green Palm Inn bed and breakfast features “Savannah Smiles” Girl Scout cookies during Savannah Cookie Sale. Photographed at the famous Leopold’s Ice Cream in downtown Savannah. Photo courtesy: Sandy Traub
In 2009 Girl Scouts presented a new cookie, baked into the shape of a smile — “Savannah Smiles®“, called “Lemonade” in some distribution areas. We’ve read also that there was another cookie, which was originally named for founder Juliette Gordon Low’s hometown — “Savannahs”. Today they are called “Peanut Butter Sandwich” or Do-si-dos®).
Add more of your own smiles in friendly Savannah, with the entertainment — a winner, too!
Winner [This could describe Savannah, GA!]
“Why is she so popular?”
“Well, she’s a old-fashioned girl in new fashioned clothes.”
— The Judge, Volume 82, c. 1923
- January 27 – February 4, 2017: The Piano Men at Savannah Theatre, Chippewa Square.
- February 3 – 5, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM: Colonial Faire and Muster at Wormsloe State Park
- February 10 – 12: I Love You. You’re Perfect. Now Change musical, Savannah Theatre
- February 16-19: Savannah Book Festival
- February 21 -24, 2017: SCAD presents deFINE ART 2017, fine art exhibitions, lectures, performances + public events.
- February 25: Joe Bonamassa, Savannah Civic Ctr.
- February 29: Davenport Soiree at Elizabeth on 37th
- March 3, Friday: STYX, 8 p.m.
- March 4: European Enigma by Savannah Philharmonic Orchestra, Lucas Theatre
- March 9: The Harlem Globetrotters 2017 World Tours, 7 p.m.
- March 9-11: Stopover Festival (music)
- March 10, Friday: Chaka Khan, 8 p.m.
- March 14, Tuesday: Celtic Women, 7 p.m.
- March 17: St. Patrick’s Day Parade
- March 20, Monday: The Ten Tenors, 7 p.m.
- March 22, Wednesday: Price Is Right Live, 7:30 p.m.
- March 23 – 26: Savannah Tour of Homes and Gardens
- March 23 – April 8: Savannah Music Festival
Savannah tourism star Diane’s late winter special deal for lodging and generous amenities at the historic inn is exclusively for Sunday through Thursday stay only through February 9, 2017. Book 2 nights and get the 3rd night free — all dates between Sunday through Thursday. #smileweek #weekday #travel
Located in the downtown Savannah historic district on Greene Square, the popular and cozy inn’s rates are $179 to $209, per night, plus tax.
ABOUT GREEN PALM INN
Featured on Wheel of Fortune, Innkeeper/co-owner Diane McCray Crews touts Green Palm Inn (circa 1897) as “The Softer Side of Savannah”. Originally sea captain cottages, the four-room Gingerbread Classic B&B shares cottage-inn comforts in the quiet of Greene Square’s residential neighborhood in the National Landmark Historic District. Fodor’s guide calls Green Palm Inn a “pleasing little discovery” and “a little gem of an inn”. BedandBreakfast.com named the cottage B&B a top pick for a holiday trip – “Top 10 B&Bs for the Holidays, 2011″. For more information: GreenPalmInn.com; Email GreenPalmInn@aol.com, telephone toll free in USA 888/606-9510, local and international 912/447-8901, 548 East President Street, Savannah, GA USA 31401. Twitter @GreenPalmInn, Facebook, and Pinterest. #softersideofsavannah #softerside #friendly #smile
Copyright © 2017 Green Palm Inn | “Daisies for Daisy”™ is creative property of Sandy Traub, Savannah GA USA.
Fitzgerald, Georgia’s Chamber of Commerce responded in 1923, saying they would take part in National Smile Week. “… If the world ever did need the smiling countenances of men, it is now when people need so much to be cheered up.”